View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-23, 03:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Whey, Collagen, Casein, Beef Protein Powders..

Oh My!

What started out as a short article about What’s the Best Protein Powder (For You)? has ended up covering a variety of supplemental protein sources including ones I’ve never heard of before. At the beginning, the Cons of using powders rather than real food e.g. beef, eggs, etc. are listed in detail.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/bes...powder-for-you/

But if you still have questions about collagen vs goat whey powder, this may have the answer. Covers all the vegetarian powders too. One I found interesting, to place in General Low carb forum is Beef Protein, the latest new fad in the carnivore world.

Quote:
Beef-Based:
If dairy doesn’t work for your body or fit into your preferences, but you still eat animal based, you may have come across beef-based protein, which is currently all the rage within the keto and carnivore communities.

Although it can be appealing, beef-based proteins often aren’t what you’d think they are. While you might think they’re made from some beef cut, they’re just overmarketed versions of collagen or gelatin.

Below, [in the article linked] Marty Kendall included the amino acid breakdown for the popular beef-based protein Equip. While it contains many essential amino acids, its cysteine, tryptophan, tyrosine, and methionine levels lag or lack compared to other protein sources. Beef protein is also relatively expensive in comparison to other protein powders, so you’re paying a lot more for an incomplete protein.

I have no issues using whey protein powders, so only the expense has kept me from buying Beef Protein, glad I waited to read this. I use whey more as a flavoring/mild sweetener, mixed into yogurt, cottage cheese or smoothie. No more than a scoop a day, Ascent brand now at Costco is made with stevia.
Sponsored Links