View Single Post
  #107   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-21, 08:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Janet, thanks so much for all the info and links. Is it just me, or are others also frustrated with all the conflicting info out there? First they say eat fiber, then they say fiber isn't necessary and is actually harmful, and then the again say to eat fiber. High carbs, low carbs, high protein, low protein, high fat, low fat. There are experts out there who would swear on a stack of bibles that their way is the best and only way to lose weight and get healthy.

To answer your question, I can eat most veggies and nuts, but not in quantity. A couple years ago my then (vegan) doc wanted me to do keto, but a plant-based version of it. I was allowed a maximum of 1.5 oz of animal protein daily. Other than that, I was eating nuts, celery, greens, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. By far, most of the veggies were supposed to be raw, only a small amount of cooked veggies were allowed daily. Somewhere in the second week I started having gastric pain and ended up with diverticulitis that required 10 days of 2 different antibiotics daily.

So yes, I can can foods containing fiber, just not too much, and not raw. Point taken. I will try to add more veggies to my meals, starting slowly and cooking them rather than having them raw.

I do have a question for you (or anyone) regarding whey protein. About 5 years ago I did an elimination diet based on the results of a NutrEval test. Whey (and casein) were high on my list of things NOT to eat. I love whey protein shakes, though, so it was one of the first foods I re-introduced after having eliminated it for 90 days. I had 2 shakes daily (plus a regular meal) for 2 days in a row. By the fourth day I was up almost 5 pounds. I take that to mean that whey is not all that good for me.

So here's my question. I did sign up for the DDR master class and have already started my baselining of blood glucose (this is Day 3). Yesterday morning I had a waking BG of 99. After a mug and a half of black coffee, BG was 102. Then I had a Pure Protein whey shake. An hour later, BG spiked to 123, which has been my highest spike recorded thus far. HOWEVER, after 2 hours, BG was 86, which was my lowest recorded level since starting.

So, do you think it's a good thing for me to have the protein shake, or a bad thing?

I have also had 2% Greek yogurt a couple times (store didn't have the 0% kind). The first time I had just the yogurt and my BG went from 111 before to 98 an hour later (amazing!). The second time I had the yogurt along with a couple scrambled eggs, sausage crumbles, and a bit of sour cream, and BG went from 86 to 91 an hour later.

This is all so confusing. I'm hoping to learn more during the master class about what all this means.