View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-19, 18:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default the weight-loss app Noom

It seems like half the ladies in my office are on this subscription app, Noom. So I'm not suffering alone I am seeing the same-old-same-old unfold. At a time when I have met my weight loss goals, I KNOW if I tried this I would get the same frustrating results I always did. Because:

Quote:
Noom's nutrition advice is based on the idea of calorie density, encouraging people to eat foods that have few calories for the volume you eat, like leafy greens.

Or, in words I'll never forget from Nathan Pritikin, the zero-fat evangelist: "The body doesn't care if you eat cement dust, as long as your stomach is full."

To make matters worse, all this year I have been a stellar example of what works. When they ask me, I tell them. But then they say:

"I can't do that."

So I have a ringside seat as I watch the magic not happen. 100 calorie dinners are offered when the deadline approaches. As if!

I found a recent article (April 2019) where a Registered Dietitian explains the pros and cons. Are you in suspense? (Likely not )

What you need to know about the weight-loss app Noom, according to a dietitian

Quote:
The app takes a behavioral approach to weight loss in order to “trick” your body into building healthier habits.

I immediately thought of those tiny plates I was told to eat off of in order to trick my body into thinking these smaller portions were actually the same size. My body didn't fall for it.

Quote:
The nutrition advice is based on the idea of calorie density, which was also popularized in the book Volumetrics. Low calorie (or low energy) density refers to foods that have few calories for the amount you eat (or the weight of a given food). Noom divides food into one of three categories: red, green or yellow. No foods are off limits, but it’s suggested that you limit the number of red foods you eat, while you’re encouraged to eat more yellow and green foods.

Oh, okay, they are doing traffic light lists. Let's see! I also see MODERATION in the "No foods are off limits" lure. Or as a lady said today, "I eat this cookie and I'll eat 20 more." She didn't but I know she thought about cookies ALL DAY.

Though I am blown away by the RD's opinion:

Quote:
Wouldn’t you rather have a salad with some crunch from nuts, creaminess from avocado, and a delicious dressing made with extra virgin olive oil compared to a salad with crunch from carrots and a sparse dressing? Granted, you can have either with Noom, but putting healthful fats in the red zone is misleading and may lead you to unnecessarily restrict them.

Of course all those healthful fats are from PLANTS but hey, I'll take progress where I can get it. Those green foods? Here's what jumped out at me.
  • whole grain everything
  • non-fat cheese and yogurt
  • fruit
  • tofu
  • potatoes
  • peas

In other words, the exact opposite of what worked for me.

Quote:
In one online review, a reviewer said the app recommended an 1,100 calorie diet. This is too low to get all of the nutrients you need to thrive. Though the reviewer said she got used to this calorie level, most people would find this amount to be severely restrictive and limiting and I would never advise anyone to eat this few calories. In my case, the app suggested 1,200 calories, which is also too low.

I lost weight on 1850 calories a day. Of course, there was less than 25 carbs in that. So really, it's just a techy way to count calories and eat fluffy stuff instead of anything satisfying.

So here's the real shocker:

Quote:
Price: As low as $32.25/month

Remember...Losing Weight Is All About CALORIES!!!
Sponsored Links