Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 22:48

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
No heart disease.

I did have testing done about five years ago and the results were terrific.

So, have you also heard that cholesterol is only about 10% dietary?

I am not going on the diet my doctor recommended.

Your results are terrific now!!!

If you have no heart disease there is nothing that statins can do to help prevent it. Even with heart disease the great majority see little or no effect. They DO see drops in lipids, but they don't see much difference in the incidence of future heart attack (or stroke)

On the other hand, low cholesterol results in weak and fragile blood vessels, which many think can contribute to hemorrhagic stroke (blood vessel breaks open, not clot up).

Personally I haven't read anything that convinces me that cholesterol is just an innocent bystander in heart disease. I believe it's either inflammation or oxidation that starts the whole process and cholesterol is actually trying to repair the damage.

Dietary intake of cholesterol MAY contribute to as much as 10% of your blood levels, (I've heard closer to 5-6%), but even if you eat NO cholesterol your body is more than capable of making what you need.....unless of course you stop the body from producing it, which is what statins do.

Virtually every cell in your body requires cholesterol. Many hormones, including like Mutant said sex hormones, are dependent on cholesterol.

In my opinion your total cholesterol should be between 160 and 350 (pre-statin levels). Your HDL should be high, the higher the better. Triglycerides should be low, and are directly related to the amount of carbohydrates you eat.

If your cholesterol level is too high, as in over 350, you should determine why and treat that, not just lower the cholesterol levels. That's as smart a move as treating an infection by only lowering the fever. It won't cure the infection, and can actually make things worse, but the patient will feel better....at least for a while.