View Single Post
  #204   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 07:54
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

A quick recap on the Carotid Intima-Media Thickness (CIMT) test that I had today...

The images were so cool --much more detail compared to the image slices on my CAC scans. I wanted a copy, but it turns out that this would be a special request. The tech said that he would need permission from the head honcho at the clinic and he was not there. I put in a written request.

So about the actual results: It was a mixed bag. They did detect a "small" nodule on my thyroid along with little bits of calcification. I don't know what he meant by "small". They suggested a more detailed assessment of my thyroid function. To date all that I have done is the basic TSH with results in the neighborhood of 2.

My arteries were completely clear of calcium and mostly clear of plaque. The technician did image one small soft plaque that was not causing any problem with blood flow. Blood flow was good in all the areas that he could check. So I guess I'm happy to learn that my carotid artey is not loaded with plaque.

As for the main purpose of the test -- Intima-Media Thickness, my scores fell between the 50th and 75th percentile for my age, ethnicity, and gender. I don't really know what that means as of yet, but I suppose that it could have been worse. I was amazed at how clear that inner lining of the artery appeared in the images. It looked like a reasonable thickness to me. I need to learn more.

I did not meet with their cardiologist as I thought I would. The post-procedure consultation included in the $175 fee was with the tech that did the imaging. He suggested that I make an appointment with the cardiologist and that I should consider a follow-up scan in a year or two. This clinic was the closest one that I could find that did the CIMT without a doctor's prescription. I had to do a little road trip to get there. The cardiologist has a private practice and appears to be interested in diet and nutrition as a means to halt, prevent, or reverse CVD. I may consider making an appointment with him.

So that's how it went. I'm still digesting it. And I really do hope that they send me the dicom image files. As I said before, they were quite interesting.