View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Another cause of peripheral neuropathy, separate from basic circulatory issues that can be caused by diabetes of either type or other disease, is injury.

I've sprained both ankles, multiple times, and broken my right 5th metatarsal (the long bone in the foot that connects to the pinkie toe) twice. The second time, I broke it very close to where it attaches to the toe.

Once the boot was off my foot, I found that I couldn't get my pinkie to behave itself. I'd tell it to push hard on the floor, for Mountain Pose, and it would say, "Huh? What?" as it sort of hung in the air.

PT can be helpful for damaged nerves, as well. I went to PT for three weeks, and not only had help in the office and exercise room, but learned ways to deal with it for the long term.

One thing that helped tremendously, for both circulation and use of the foot, was simply using my feet to draw the alphabet in the air.

It also helps to stave off the crazy making twitches that I sometimes have in my foot, where the insane nerves tell my toes to cross, or the muscles to jump up and down, randomly. I mean, really. I can't will my toes to cross. But they do, when the nerves are misbehaving. And it hurts!

Bonnie, I'm thinking that might be helpful for you, to encourage the blood flow to your toes. But don't wait too long to get to your doctor: gray toes are serious.