Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 12:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by DebDaCajun
I don't have SAD though, unless they have a variant that makes you more depressed the MORE the sun is out! Summer just melts my synapses!
hi Deb,

As a matter of fact, there IS a summer SAD. I'm having difficulty locating any meaningful information online ... there's a book though, "Don't be SAD", by Celeste Peters, well-written and a whole chapter devoted to the spring/summer depressive pattern. Your library might have a copy to borrow.

It seems the summer variant is mediated more by a thermal dysregulation ... ie, it's the heat and humidity .. more than lack or excess of available sunlight. As with all areas of our mental well-being though, no studies conclusive ... and most theories are just that .. theories. One theory suggests the heat factor affects the sleep patterns, hence you become lethargic, lack energy and just generally blah. The bright light therapy, so helpful for winter SAD (I use a lightbox myself, it makes all the difference in the world ... but I digress ....) is less effective for summer SAD. Cooler climate, getting sleep patterns regulated, and dietary control (in particular carbs, go figure ) ... plus SSRI medications appear to be more helpful.

Here are some links to web articles about SAD, with a brief mention given to summer symptoms in each.Doreen