#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 06:50
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Very high bs brought on by exercise

I'm a T2, on metformin. I've been exercising pretty much daily since the beginning of May. I get up early, do some weights and some cardio, then eat breakfast. I have never checked my sugars immediately after exercising until this morning, and was quite alarmed to get a result of 10.4 (187). I retested right away and got 9.8 (176). I had my regular post-workout breakfast shake (water, cream, strawberries and vanilla whey powder, total net carbs = 7) and checked them a half hour later (twice again) and they were over 11 (198).
Since I've been working out, I've had good sugars when I've checked them (which I admit isn't every day) including several readings in the 5-6 (90-108) range, which I rarely, if ever, saw before starting low carb. Prior to starting low carb, my A1C was over 10 (180) and at my last appointment it was 7.0 (126) and the doctor was very pleased with all my tests.
I'm going to see my endo June 10, so I will definitely continue checking this and discuss it with him when I see him, but I was wondering if anyone knew of bs spiking like this due to starting a new exercise program? This morning, I pushed myself extra hard on my elliptical, so when I finished my heart rate was way up. Could that be a factor? Another possibility that occured to me is that maybe I need to eat before I exercise?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jenn
Sponsored Links