#9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-19, 15:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Verbena - sorry to hear about your husband. I stand by my statement that my WOE is not challenging. Certainly, it was challenging when I first adapted to it, and I knew that going in, but with time, it became a normal part of my lifestyle. I would prefer that articles like the one referenced would be more accurate and specify when that challenge occurs and that it can be defeated. I've heard too many times from critics of low carb that it's very difficult or impossible to sustain long term. Based on my experience, I don't at all agree with that

Thank you, Rob. DH is recovering from his surgery, and doesn't need either radiation or chemo for this particular cancer, so he is doing as well as can be expected. I agree that this WOE was a challenge at the beginning, 6 1/2 years ago. I loved to bake and cook, and must take a certain amount of blame for feeding DH's sweet tooth. But once I got past that I find that I just don't "see" the foods that are not good for me. Yes, I'm sure that good bread is still good, but I don't eat grains now, so bread just isn't an issue. However, I don't have an addictive personality, and I can be quite stubborn, so, having decided that I don't eat "that" (whatever "that" might be) ... well ... I don't. And now I don't miss much of what I won't eat. I still like to cook and experiment in the kitchen, and, as WereBear says, all the things that I CAN and WILL eat are luscious, and delightful, and (in a former life) decadent, so why would I want to have anything else? Steak with Bearnaise sauce is perfect on it's own; bread would only be useful to get the last bits of sauce, and there are other ways to do that.
Actually, about the bread: after several years of not eating any I had the opportunity to have some from a really good local bakery. I allowed myself a couple of bites, and - truth be told - it wasn't really worth it. I'm sure the bread was just as good as before, but my tastes had changed. I took the rest home to feed to the chickens