#13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 12:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
This thread and one in the LC Reseach/Media subforum ("The War on Meat has begun...") strike me as both being related to the topic of nutritional zealotry versus nutritional enthusiasm.

When does enthusiasm cross the line into zealotry? My first approximation answer is: An enthusiast SHARES information and thereby attempts to convince others to voluntarily convert to his/her way of thinking. A zealot attempts to cut off the exchange of any information contrary to his/her way of thinking and to FORCE others to act according to his/her way of thinking regardless of whether they think/feel differently.

Under my definition, 99.99% of the members of this forum are nutritional enthusiasts, not zealots...and I've met/interacted online with very very few low-carb zealots...despite what Dr. Yoni Freedhof writes. OTOH, the University Warden (President? Dean?) discussed an article linked to a post by Demi in the "The War on Meat thread definitely qualifies as a nutritional zealot. And, unfortunately, I've met/interacted online with a good many Vegans who are nutritional zealots.

What do y'all think? How would you draw the line between zealotry and enthusiasm?

I think your definitions are consistent with my experiences. Enthusiasts vs zealots is a good way to categorize the approach. Anyone following a different WOE than I deserves respectful consideration. When some attempt to impose that WOE on all in the name of health, saving the planet, or any other agenda not directly related to one's nutritional health, that's when I strongly object. Vision of the Anointed, by Thomas Sowell defines and describes this behavior pattern very well.