#19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 11:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
And I am puzzled, because arrhythmia has many causes, and is not that inflammatory cardiac process that causes heart attacks and that statins are supposed to prevent. But now everyone with a pacemaker is supposed to be on them, regardless of reasons.

I’m very sorry about your dad. And elderly are particularly vulnerable, since I already get the “You’re old! Deal with it!” From some physicians. And our view of old age has been skewed to one of infirmity: when we know that’s not always so!

Thanks, my Dad's deteriorating condition as he reached his late 70s and early 80s was one of the main reasons I started questioning whether there could be lifestyle adjustments that would prevent all those symptoms from coming to a head for me and my family members who share his DNA. For most of his life, he was healthy and active, but as he progressed in age, symptoms like HBP and others started emerging. Statins seem the be the knee-jerk, prophylactic response from physicians whenever there is anything related to the heart, as you are correct, arrhythmia is an electrical dysfunction, not a blockage risk in and of itself.

As a baby boomer in my late 60s, I may not have found the fountain of youth, but I can tell you that I don't take any medications, so something related to lifestyle must have intervened. No, statins will never be part of that lifestyle.