View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-18, 12:47

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Just finished watching this vid yesterday ('cuz it's over an hour long). Some of the things she related to the interviewer made me really angry. I'd heard some of it before, but...

The outright suppression and burying of evidence, the chilling effect on scientific discovery, the outright ruin of careers... and the countless girls and women whose health was ruined by following official advice as to what to eat to keep them healthy... due in large part to the promotion and implementation of policies based on this UNPROVEN hypothesis: a hypothesis that was never tested on women (who make up over HALF the population) AT ALL prior to implementation! If it's the right advice for adult men, well, it must also be the right advice for girls and women, even though we haven't studied the effect of such a diet on those populations. Right? It boggles the mind. Outrageous. Infuriating.

To this DAY the U.S Gov't (via the Dept. of Agriculture) is promoting that Girls, starting at age 4, through puberty and throughout their ENTIRE adult lives, eat 5 to 6 oz equivalents of grain products every day. For me, this would mean eating substantial amounts of grain products at EVERY MEAL. It is also MORE than the weight equivalents recommended for protein.

Every female in this country, whether she's in kindergarten or someone's great grandmother, is told to eat 4 to 5 oz equivalents of protein. Not per meal, per DAY. Oh, and it should be lean protein. The page on protein actually shows a bowl of beans & veggies with a serving of cornbread as a good example.

Choose My Plate Guidelines for grains - updated as recently as 2017!

We tried to fix this the last time official guidelines were reviewed. We really did. It was less than 5 years ago, wasn't it?

Thank goodness for pioneers like Dr. Atkins. And for scientific warriors like Nina, who have the courage to stand by their scientific findings, regardless of the consequence.

Thank you for posting the link.