View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 09:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Dr. Cate Shanahan was very good in her one-on-one interview. Nothing that I haven't heard before. In subsequent sessions like Episodes 4 and 5, we're getting a few plant-based advocates some of whom think eating red meat causes inflammation, T2D, and cancer. Many of these beliefs are based on epidemiological data where it's impossible to isolate one food type as causative, for example, Colin Campbell's spurious "research." I'm fine with a plant-based approach being touted as healthy. My caveat is for some and only with the consumption of some plants. It's when they cite meat and protein types as being unhealthy that I find irresponsible, as it's not based on any factual information at this time.

Jason Fung's appearance in Episode 5 is information that many who have been following him and reading his protocol find familiar. They are careful not to paint IF as something that is easier to get into when one is already following low carb or ketogenic approaches although he did mention that low carb is a good protocol for many. My interest in this series now is how the various ways of eating for health are portrayed, as there is enough confusion in nutritional knowledge and dietary approaches today. I have no doubt that one can make a plant-based approach work; yet, it requires a lot of knowledge about essential nutrients required by the body that need to be added to the diet. It's incumbent on the individual pursuing a certain WOE to fully understand how to achieve health and pros and cons including understanding one's n=1 experiences of a certain approach. For the pure message that good health can be achieved by lifestyle changes, this series could be beneficial if one can wade through and discriminate among all the approaches described to select the best approach for the individual.