View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 14:44

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I enjoyed Sisson's interview. Not being a "natural athlete," I haven't paid much attention to him in the past because he always seemed to be focusing his message towards people who wanted to run marathons or body-build or play some intense sport at a professional or semi-pro level... none of which ever was nor ever will be me.

I did find his discussion about easing into a ketogenic diet most interesting. (i.e., ease in by first cutting out sugar and very starchy vegetable and grains for a few weeks, and only then -if you still feel good - have you "earned the right" to go full-bore keto! In point of fact, that IS the way hubby and I ended up doing it as we figured out how best to keep his blood sugars under control based on his BG meter readings. Our transition to very low carb was pretty slow and I don't recall either of us ever experiencing anything like "keto flu." It wasn't until I found this site that I even heard the term.

I'm thinking that this is area that could use a bit more study because a lot of people DO give up on low carb because of intense keto flu.

I quit statins because of an intense negative reaction - and thereafter I have utterly refused to even consider taking another statin and I tend to be a pretty vocal opponent of statins.

I can't very well fault those who've had a bad reaction with keto flu for becoming vocal opponents of the entire low carb concept. Just like my experience with statins, their first-hand experience with keto flu tells them that this is BAD IDEA. Maybe if more people eased into keto, we'd see less intense negativity about the concept. On the other hand, those who ease into keto probably don't see that highly motivating 10 to 12 lb weight loss the first week either!