View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 17:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Review of Carb Manager app

I just got it for my Apple iPad, so I don’t know if it is on Android (probably) but I’ve only used it one day and I am so pleased.

I have always been a fan of tracking, especially when starting a new wrinkle in my low carb journey. I started keto today, and decided to see how far the science of tracking software has come. I found a well-rated app called Carb Manager. It is really a snap to use, and since I almost live on my iPad, it will always be handy. To add foods, look up basic items like eggs or brand names like Wholy Guacamole and it appears.

You can even scan a barcode, and if it is found in the database, all the information gets uploaded for use. I love that one!

The only thing I didn’t find in the database today was a gourmet item of grassfed sausage, but I could add all the information and store it for the future. It even let me take a picture, so it is easy to find again and see it on my food list.

The foods all have icons to make it easy to find and keep track. And there’s a lot of flexibility in serving sizes. You can even set an entry to appear every day if it is your goto breakfast or something. If you make a mistake, you can adjust it.

There’s a weekly rolling total with charts. I was aiming for macros like this:

Quote:
Generally, the keto diet macros vary within the following ranges: 60-75% of calories from fat (or even more), 15-30% of calories from protein, and. 5-10% of calories from carbs

Today came out to 3% carbs, 76% fat, and 21% protein. That’s 8 grams of net carbs.

That is all I wanted, so I’ll stay on the free level.

The app can expand into a whole program for $40 a year or $5 a month; track exercise, do more reporting, take uploads from your FitBit and downloads to Apple Watch. This also gives access to a whole bunch of recipes and meal plans, including the ability to upload an online recipe and add it to your food list (I gather.)

Whatever you use, I do urge everyone to track for a few weeks at least, just to get the hang of things. I’ve looked up foods and got a nasty surprise. And somehow adding stuff up in our heads or guesstimating never winds up being overestimated. That can trip you up.

It has amazing motivational powers too. You look at something, think what it would do to that nice chart, and you pass it up.
Sponsored Links