View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 15:47

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

How in the world did I miss this thread when it first got started. These are great questions, Zule. Thanks for creating it.

#1 I also, didn't know what carb addiction. I just knew that I felt hungry all the time. Years ago I use to sneak food, like candy bars, cookies, etc. all the good high carbed foods. I didn't want anyone to know that I ate foods like that. I never realized that certain foods would set me off. When I first started dieting in high school, I did discover that if I went for a couple of days without anything sweet to eat, like candy, cookies, etc, that I didn't crave them anymore, but I didn't know why that was. That was way before Atkins came along. I never really ate a whole lot at meals. It was the in-between snacking on chips, sodas, sweets, that was my downfall.

#2 I have been on so many diets over the years, I can't even begin to count them. I will name a few.. When I was in high school, my weight was 133 lbs. I was considered over weight. My boyfriend was on me all the time to lose weight. I went to a Dr. who gave me diet pills to take. I did this for 3 months and got my weight down to 110 lbs. Everyone thought I looked great and at that age I guess I probably did, but I could not keep it off. It came back on just as quick. I was on various other diets after that. I think that started my Yo-Yo dieting. After I married my first husband my weight went up to 145 lbs. He was always on me to lose weight. So, I heard about a diet where you didn't eat anything. It was a fasting diet and you had to go to a Dr. to be monitored and given special vitamins. Of course I lost rapidly because I was young and went down to 110 lbs again, but there again, I gained as fast as I lost. After that I just went from one diet to another. I even tried Nutri Systems. I did lose, but could not keep it off. I still craved carbs terribly and of course that was my downfall with these diets.

#3 Oct 2000, I went on Atkins and was amazed because my appetite was under control for the first time ever. I didn't have any cravings and it was wonderful. The bad news for me was after being on Atkins for 5 weeks, I had not dropped even a single lb. Nada, nothing. I was so disappointed because I loved the fact that I wasn't hungry. I felt full all the time and so content. I went off of Atkins right before Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law had sent me the CAD book because of the Low Carb recipes in there. She thought I might be able to use them on Atkins. It sat on my coffee table for a couple of weeks. One day I picked it up and started reading it. It sounded really interesting, but I was very skeptical, but I figured, I didn't have anything to lose. I thought if CAD would do what Atkins had done and keep my hunger at bay, then maybe this would be a better program. I started Dec 26 2000 and within the first 2 weeks I had lost 10 lbs. I could not believe it. Of course after that the weight loss slowed down, but I was averaging 4 lbs a month. I was so happy.

#4 It took about 3 days for my cravings to totally disappear. It was about that amount of time also for the headaches to disappear too. Once they disappeared I was just amazed with CAD. I was totally in control of my eating just like I had been with Atkins, only this was even better.. I felt so in control and in general felt wonderful.

I stuck with CAD for 7 straight months and lost 40 lbs. I never went off of it even once in that time. I never had a desire to go off of it.. I went camping with my sister, brother and their spouses. I went off of it for 2 weeks, but I was not worried as I knew how much I loved CAD that I would be able to get right back on. I had gained 8 lbs, which I was not happy about. I did get right back on track after vacation and the 8 lbs were right back off within the first couple of weeks, but then something happened. I could not get beyond that point. For the next 1 1/2 yrs I stuck to CAD like glue with the exception of another vacation with my brother and sister. I still could not lose anymore wieght. Out of frustation I went off of it to try WW, thinking if I could lose the weight on WW, than I would go back to CAD to maintain it. Nope, I didn't lose on WW either. After 2 months on WW the carb addiiction started sneaking back up on me, so I jumped right back on CAD Over the past couple of years, I have tried various other Low Carb diets, only to come back to CAD. I feel the best on CAD.

#5 My relationship with food has defintely normalized. I am not obsessed with food as long as I stick to CAD. CAD is the only plan that I have tried where I don't even want to snack. All other low carb plans, I find myself needing or wanting to snack.

#6. I find that if I have a dessert every night at my RM that my body sort of expects it at every RM. I feel very deprived if I don't have something sweet to eat. I have found I can break myself of this habit by just not eating anything sweet to eat for at least 3 nights, than I don't crave them. I sometimes try to eat just fruit or yogurt instead of candy or ice cream. I am not always successful, but that is alright, because at least I know that if I do have that piece of cake etc, that my eating won't get out of control.

#7 CAD is definitely for life. There might be times when I feel like I need to try something different in the way of LC-ing. I just get so flustered when the scale won't budge for me, but I always come back to CAD.

#8 I would recommend to anyone who has an addiciton to carbs to try CAD. I know it isn't for everyone and some people find that they have a hard time controlling their RM and it turns into one big carb feast. I think for most of these people if they were to follow CAD/CALP the way it should be followed then they would find that it works for them too. CAD has done miracles for me. I don't know how many times I have been on diets and lost weight only to regain it back as fast. I could never last longer than 3 months on any other low cal diet, then it was back to eating out of control again. I might be in a stall right now due to my age (at least that is my guess) but I haven't gained back the 40 lbs that I lost to begin with.