View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 13:26

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Excellent idea, Zuleika!

#1. When I was out of control, my blood sugar was also out of control -- way too low. I felt hungry all the time; edgy; shaky; sometimes cold sweats; migraines; exhausted. Everything seemed like too much to cope with. I could be done with a substantial meal, and still feel hungry.

#2. I did a low-fat diet about 12 years ago for high cholesterol, and it only made it worse. I did lose weight. I began gaining weight after being diagnosed with hypoglycemia 1 1/2 years ago, and obviously was eating the wrong way for my body. I started with Atkins, but it made me really sick -- my blood sugar was dangerously low, I had a migraine the whole time, and had severe digestive problems. I went from Atkins right into CAD, and began losing weight immediately; then I switched to CALP. On New Year's, I tried Protein Power, and lasted only 1 day -- my body reacted poorly to it, and my blood sugar dropped quickly. So, I was back to CALP.

#3. I found CAD/CALP because a good friend is on it. It impressed me as a plan that I could stick with for my life -- it doesn't exclude any food. I tested as a moderate carb addict, but the book described a lot of what I was going through. I felt hope. I read both CAD and CALP, as well as several other books which I've listed in my profile. CALP sounded like the best idea for me.

#4. It took a week for the cravings and hunger to go away. Every once in a while, I still get some. I only restarted once, because I took a "holiday" from Thanksgiving to New Year's. It wasn't difficult restarting.

#5. I started CAD/CALP about 6 months ago, and have lost ~20% of what I want to lose. My relationship with food has normalized -- I don't "medicate" or "comfort" myself with food. I feel like I'm more in control. I'm pretty good at balancing my RM and eating a variety of foods. I've learned to listen to my body better than before, and I have been able to identify unexpected craving triggers (onion was one!), which also happen to be hypoglycemic inducers. If it's not my RM, I'm capable of passing up that birthday cake or ice cream - the temptation passes.

#6. For me, "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome" never hit. I think the KITCSS is when you eat everything you want in the 1-hour RM with no balance. I've had to watch my foods for hypoglycemia, so I never went overboard in my RM. I've been thrilled that, once a day, I can now have fruit or a little ice cream or a little pastry -- all this without throwing my blood sugar into a tailspin. I work hard at planning my meals, and at balancing my RM. I feel more in control now.

#7. I plan to stick on CAD/CALP even after I lose the weight. I'm working at avoiding Type 2 diabetes.

#8. CAD/CALP has given me a new outlook, and a balanced WOE. It has my blood sugar normalized, and that feels really good. My migraines have lessened in severity and duration. I'm not constantly starving. I highly recommend it for anyone with carb addiction or insulin "issues."

I tried to be as concise as possible!