#10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 14:27

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Totally understand. I went thru confusion too, and kept pulling info together until reached this conclusion:

Health is not as simple as eating ONE food. MEaning there could be many reasons why Blue Zones are healthier-- could it be that they fast more, ie calorie restricted at times??? COuld it be the level of stress is different? COuld it be they exercise more? Or less pollution?? Could it be extended family life is rich and rewarding?? Could it be the American food is contaminated with herbicides and pesticides and antibiotics ???

Looking at only food is only looking at one piece of the pie.

These studies are NOT cause and effect studies. Meaning the diet cannot be pointed at and say THAT is why we are healthier. Maybe there is something else that the study did not capture that is the real driving force behind better health.

I do try to find a nugget that could make my health bettter. So for example, legumes. I looked to find the old ways of preparing them from dried beans to make them a better food source. Soaking, rinsing, soaking, rinsing--- does change the phytochemical burden; and then cooking them of course.

B17 is NOT a vitamin that is regarded as valuable here in the US; but it is more prevalent in other diets around the world. We have developed sweeter and less bitter vegies and removed the B17. Yet no one says " stop eating the arugula" or " dandelion greens will kill you".....lol....

Beans in moderation. Good source of protein, some vitamins and some fiber. Good carbs for some people; too much carb for some one else. I moved them to the once in a while, not everyday catagory putting meat in its place.

Meats are a complicated subject because just how contaminated is the meat is debateable; whether or not it is altered is not debateable. IMHO organic grass fed meats/ dairy/eggs most closely mimics the wild meats we ate for millions of years.

The eggs from my chickens are NOT the same as the store eggs. I do eat both. The hens spend the day traveling around the farm scavenging the natural foods and the eggs taste and look different than store eggs-- and have MORE omega 3 and vit A naturally.

You have good questions-- hope this helped somewhat. Keep reading here on this forum and you will find all the "information" that gets debated and discussed so you can make a choice that fits you. ( though we do favor meat is good; and coconut oil, and eggs. lol)

Unfortunately, most studies only cause angst rather than provide a real answer. You will find this too discussed and how researchers manipulate data, or the study is not a very good one, yada yada......

Sad but true.

Thank you so much for this, you make a lot of sense and I'm feeling better about moving forward! I'm going to take a deep breath and just tackle things one at a time. I'm feeling good about the most of the changes I've made so far so I'm going to keep going with those, and then I'm going to do a lot of reading (which I enjoy anyways, so win-win!), on various low carb subjects. I just got a notification from the library that I have 4 books in, if I'm remembering correctly I think they're all Atkins related (either his books or spin-offs). So I'm going to start there and then work forward from there