View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 22:52

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

The Calculus Victus software was shown not to give the same results as Dr. K's original formula. If I recall correctly, it was developed by a fan,... but is not based on anything from Dr K's books or teachings.

Protein calculation on the Dr K plan does not have decreasing rungs, and is easily calculated like this:

height (converted to cm) - 100 = protein foundation in grams

It can then be adjusted +/- 10%, if, when, or however needed.

5ft 6 is 167 cm, so your daughter's daily intake of protein would be 67. I would DEFINITELY add the +10%, being that she is a growing teen, working hard at school and needing optimal brain function, and so on.

Do you have Dr K's books at all? I know they can only be ordered from Poland; but the Optimal Diet site, once again, was developed by a fan.

Also, the correct ratios for weightloss on Dr K's plan are as follows:

0.3-0.5Carbs : 1Protein : 1.5Fat

It only goes up to the 2x Fat ratio and higher for health during maintenance, for example.

Lastly, I wonder if you're not putting too much emphasis on your daughter's body shape/8lbs? I ask only because, of all plans, Dr K is probably one of the very slowest to lose on. Furthermore, at 16,... your daughter still has several more years of growth and development ahead of her. You may be surprised that she becomes leaner once again later after her development isn't at the height of a proverbial battleground, that a teenager's body often is - for a multitude of different reasons.

I think at 16, if you encourage her to eat whole, unprocessed foods, and encourage consistent meal times and reasonable portion sizes, - this will already be all the you have to do to set her up for a successful and healthy attitude and foundation, from which she will then be able to successfully manage her own health, for the rest of her life.

In other words, particularly during such formative years; ensuring she understands the value of whole, natural, and unprocessed foods from a nutritional standpoint... WILL be worth it's weight in gold, compared to calorie counting for instance, or switching between various plans and tweaking, tweaking, tweaking them all (as we might be inclined to do ourselves when we are say, much older and already well out of our teens)

And finally; she is also at the right age to encourage a healthy and active lifestyle - which for many people, teens included, is the key to getting the last few pounds off. Does she already do this? I wouldn't encourage a teen to try and spend robotic time in the gym; but is she involved in absolutely as many sporting activities at school as she can be, for example? Because this is definitely what should be the case, at this age.

Ultimately, the weight loss ratios on Dr K's plan DO mean it is a low calorie plan; and perhaps if she is only looking to lose a few pounds, she might be happier to increase her activity level and be "allowed" to keep the extra calories.

As an active, growing, busy teenager who needs to really be excelling at so many different things at this stage in her life, she needs calories from fuel. 45g of protein is completely off (by a whopping 35%), and the fat is 3x what it should be - for a loss.

Good luck with everything & all the best!!