Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabazel
Hello all!

I'm currently a college student who enjoys a low carb lifestyle. Although it may seem hard, if you stick to some basics, it's not that bad!

For bfast: Eggs, bacon, sausage, and omelets are usually available at most college cafeterias for bfast. If you get tired of those and have a little extra money to spend, WalMart or GMC sells Atkins Bfast Bars. There good for when you get sick of the saltiness. Also, buying your own sugar free syrup and toting it to the cafeteria is worth it sometimes. It tastes just as good with any meat and eggs as it does with pancakes

For Lunch: If you're not on the induction diet, salad is always a great way to go, with Italian or Ranch dressing. You can also put other veggies on it. If you ARE on the induction, or a stricter phase of the diet, request hamburgers, hot dogs, or chicken patties w/o the buns. I lived a lovely life for a while on bacon cheeseburgers and montery jack chicken Again, if you tote your own sugar free sauces, its nice. Or just slap on some mayo.

For Dinner: Again, if you're on induction, it'll prob be more hamburgers and hotdogs. But if you're not, then you can eat a great LC lifestyle by putting different veggies into the mix. Hard boiled eggs are also great additions, since they are so filling. One thing Ive discovered, which may sound GROSS at first, but really isn't, is making different "dinner salads". Since the bread or pasta is what used to fill me up, I sometimes found it hard to get that same satiated feeling with just meat and veggies. So what I do is take a little bowl of lettuce, cut up my meat and veggies, and mix it all together on a plate. Then I add some dressing (again, making sure its low carb) and sometimes a bit of mustard, and I nuke it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. It tastes MUCH better than it sounds, and the lettuce does what the pasta used to: fills me up COMPLETELY. And its still LC!

For snacks and dessert: Sugar Free Jello is a staple in my mini fridge. It really works for those sugar cravings. Also, I always keep cheese blocks, tuna fish, hot dogs, and mayo in the fridge. When I'm hungry I can always munch. One thing I've found that's REALLY yummy and when I can't get to the cafeteria, is taking tuna fish, mayo, and some of my cheese blocks (I like cheddar or munster), and nuking it. The cheese gets all melty and the tuna is great hot. It's a gooey LC treat. I also have sugar free cookies and hard candies. Ok, so its not TECHNICALLY allowed, but eating one cookie or candy a day is not going to kill you, and it really helps with the cravings. And eventually on the diet, you do need SOME carbs.

So! That is my plan for college. As for drinking, that's something you have to weigh on your own. Like the others have said, shots of vodka with diet coke are usually what I do as well when I drink.

And sometimes, I just say "Hell with it" and cheat. But know what? It doesn't kill you to do that sometimes. You just get back on the wagon and go about your business. You really do need to have a positive attitude when things like that happen. If you punish yourself for splurging then you'll develope a negative way of looking at the diet.

Also, if you've decided that its a lifestyle change and not just a diet, you have to look at the big picture: If I'm going to do this for the rest of my life, is having over my one day carb limit(eating that extra cookie, going to that party) going to have THAT much impact? No, it's not. So go ahead. Just make sure you know the difference between a once in a while treat and a habit!

Sincerely,
Sophie

Hi About Salads on induction, you are allowed salads on induction