#12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 14:22

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
no doubt for many years before that you were in the process of developing diabetes.

This is very true, and a big chunk of why I first started doing LC a long time ago.

The first time, I was told to stop because of pregnancy. (If I knew then what I knew now... )

After "The Baby Years", I eventually got back to eating right... and then had depression and life (or more accurately, 5 family deaths) blow up at me in one year. The conversation in my head at that time was literally, "If you eat that, you'll be back on the path to diabetes". Followed by me ordering two. I was -- as another friend once described herself, "Killing myself with food."

It took me about 4 years to get back up to my current (well, pre-current) size... and right at the end, I was deliberately eating wheat, because we were going to be doing a Celiac test.

My son (now 14) takes after me, in terms of body-type. This past summer, we sat down and had a talk... about genetic predisposition, and long-term health, and quality of life, and clothes that fit. We'd started going LC together, just before my gastroenterologist wanted to do the Celiac test. He's a kid, so didn't even suggest he go as "deep" as I do... but skipping the fries, skipping the bread, eating cheese/nuts instead of chips or a sandwich, etc. Amazing what small changes can do: he's got a lot less of a "gut" hanging out.

Diabetes is at the end of a long road, that starts when that fat starts building around the middle. I consider it my "fault" I'm here, because I knew how to prevent it and didn't. (Lots of complicated reasons "why", but none of them matter to my body.)

The good news is that "the way to prevent it" is being the primary piece of my treatment plan. Right now -- until March -- I've got this window where I can do whatever I can to get my BG under control. If that's not enough (and according to Dr. B, my numbers ARE still too high, although within what I've always been told was normal) we can add medication on top of it... but at least that way, we're adding medication to my diet, rather than changing my diet while on medication. (This seems to me a much less-complicated way to get things evened out.)

So no cheats. No slips. Bigger stakes, and longer-term.