Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
Okay, I'll chime in...

Is there any issue with taking around 4000 IU's a day, year round if one lives way up north?

I think that may be extreme in an otherwise healthy individual, but the thought is an interesting one to me.

More likely, I am thinking of upping my vitamin D looking to maintain BS, or even drop it (my last fasting BS was 102) and I have also read that D helped digestion. I am looking for a good way to remove my acid reflux meds from my life.

Currently I take a Calcium/Magnesium/D (2 tablets daily) suppliment that provides (daily totals)-
40mg Vitamin C
200 IU Vitamin D (From Cholecalciferol)
500 mg Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate and Calcium Amino Acid Chelate)
200 mg Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide)
10mg Zinc (Zinc Sulfate)
1.32mg Copper (Copper Gluconate)
1.66 mg Manganese (Manganese Citrate)

I also get -
400 iu of vitamin D-3
300 mg Magnesium
750 mg Calcium
All from my daily super multi vities.

So basically I am geting at least 600 iu of D, 500 mg Magnesium and 1250mg of calcium in a day.

If I were to up my vitamin D to 1000 iu, would I also need consider upping any other suppliments to benefit the D? Would 1000 iu be helpful?

Also the ACV thing, I just picked up some Braggs and had a big tablespoonful in about 6 oz of water. That was areal bugger to get down! It seems to have helped a wee bit with the acid reflux. But it is some powerful stuff! I may try some DaVinchi's syrup or some splenda to make it less abusive to my palet...ideas?

I take 4,000 IU of vitamin D during the summer and I live in Washington, DC!!! I don't feel "normal" otherwise. So no, there is no detriment to taking 4,000 IU of vitamin D year round. Many experts recommend taking 1,000-2,000 IUs during the summer and upping that during winter months.

More importantly, correcting a vitamin D deficiency requires at least 3 months of megadosing in vitamin D, 7,000-14,000 IU per day depending on relevent factors, to correct deficiency symptoms, i.e., IBS, digestion problems, hypertension, BS, bone and muscle weakness, etc, etc, etc.

If you really want to get your BS under control do get the gymnema sylvestre. It actually heals and regenerates the pancreas beta cells which produces insulin.

ACV--That was way too little water to take with the ACV. No wonder you had that reaction!!! Please do not use a "sweetener" with it. Just have it in more water--like 16 ounces of it.

Your calcium and magnesium look good. You don't have to increase it though you could up the magnesium to around 900 mg if you wanted.

Vitamin C--What you're taking isn't anywhere near enough to clean your gut and promote healing. I suggest 6,000-12,000 mg a day for the same three months that you're megadosing with vitamin D.

Digestion--I recommend Peptidase Complete digestive enzymes before meals.