View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 11:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been reading up on gluten intolerance and celiac disease, it appears a bunch of autoimmune diseases might be caused by gluten intolerance! I don't have either of those, but I had Graves Disease, an immune disease and I have a feeling I might have issues with gluten. So I'm trying out a strict gluten free diet before I get the expensive tests done, just to see if I get better.

This web site talks about it: https://blossom.safe-order.net/clan...exp_doctor.php3

Here's a good one to read: https://blossom.safe-order.net/clan...s&category_id=2

DR. RUDERT: Most certainly autoimmune disorders are associated with Celiac Disease. Unfortunately, in the U.S. due to the delay in diagnosis, more commonly, Celiac Disease is diagnosed after another autoimmune disease has already been suspect. Autoimmune disorders may include insulin dependent diabetes, hyper or hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, pernicious anemia, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus to name a few. I am presently following two patients with multiple sclerosis and Celiac Disease. In fact, there is an ongoing study at the NIH evaluating individuals with cerebellar ataxia (difficulty walking) and gluten sensitivity. Most certainly, Celiac Disease can present with extra-intestinal health conditions. Epilepsy has also been reported as an association in addition to other neurologic disorders.

In the recent Annals of Neurology, Volume 49, No. 4, April 2001, was a report titled "Gluten Sensitivity in Sporadic and Hereditary Cerebellar Ataxia." This article recommended that patients with hereditary ataxia should be considered for screening for gluten sensitivity and gluten-free diet trials. I have spoken with Dr. Shill at the NINDS (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) and they are still recruiting patients for the study. Questions can be addressed to the scheduling secretary Ms. Barbara Kimber at 1-301-496-0600.