Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
One more question, do I need to be taking Calcium, sure don't get enough being on the Atkins diet.
Personally I don't take calcium. I'm not happy with the idea of having too much uncontrolled calcium drifting round my body.

Quote:
Also On my Multi vitamin, it has 200 of calcium, My Dr had told me to take 1500 of calcium...
Check through the calcium foodsources and see if you are making 1300mg from food sources daily? You've 200 in the multivit/min

Quote:
I found 50,000 D3 at Pro health, and its 53.00. Does this sound right.
Biotech $30.00 + P&P don't know what that would be)

Quote:
I also think buying a 2000 and 5000 and taking this daily would be better, would this work?
The ones I suggested would be slightly better as they take you a tad over rather than under the amount your doctor suggested. These in fish oil may be a good idea but you really don't have to worry about overdoing it as up to 10,000iu/daily is known to be safe even if you also get sunlight and it doesn't sound as if you've been getting much of that and thus it's likely this won't change over the winter. So I stick with my 2400 + 5000iu D3 daily = 7400iu and being a bit over will give you a bit more leeway if you forget a day. Remember the 50,000iu/week is safe so if you do forget just double up the next day. So long as the total over the week is about 50,000iu that will enable your body to get to the level it would naturally attain and maintain if you lived as your DNA EVOLVED.

Quote:
How does HCTZ affect D3, I take 25mg a day?.....
This is what the drug interactions checker says
Patients receiving thiazide diuretic therapy should be cautioned against self-treatment with calcium and vitamin D supplements without first talking to their healthcare provider. Serum calcium should be monitored if thiazide diuretics are coadministered with high dosages of calcium and/or vitamin D. Patients should be advised to seek medical attention if they experience signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia such as dizziness, weakness, lethargy, headache, myalgia, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, and seizures.

However you have consulted your health professional.
You have been advised to take a sensible amount of calcium and a sensible logical amount of vitamin d.

You can also look at the graph from this paper that shows that never has anyone experienced hypercalcemia or other adverse events at the 7400iu/d intake I've suggested. You can see the white triangles (adverse events) occur only at much higher daily intakes.