#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 10:20

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 239/208/175 Female 5" 10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Been down this road before...

Hello everyone!

This is my second go-round with full blown low-carb. My first was 7 years ago and I was a long-time lurker on this forum. You all helped me tremendously, even though you didn't know it. lol I lost 80 pounds, got back to my recommended weight, and felt great!

Then, as we all know, life happened. Move to new state (NM to Alaska!), hip replacement, divorce, entirely different career after almost two years with no real job, new guy...can we say "lots of stress in about 5 years time?" My solace was found at the bottom of a caramel swirl ice cream container. (OK - no lie - it was darn good! ha!)

Fast forward to 5 months ago - all but 10 pounds had crept back on, needed the other hip replaced (not weight related), and I could no longer go out on my partner's fishing boat to fish salmon with him since I was in too much pain. Something had to give! So I scheduled a 2nd hip replacement (other hip), got some Keto strips to make me feel better the first weeks, and went to 30 carbs or less per day.

I'm halfway to goal right now - 32 pounds in 5 months. I'm not losing at the same rate as the first time, which I put down to age. I was 51 last time, turning 58 in a few days this time. Both times I was in a lot of pain due to hips, so I wasn't active at all. Just like the studies have shown, weight loss for me is definitely 75-80% what I eat!

Last time I'd get a "whooshie" of 3 to 4 pounds overnight and it would stay gone. This time it'll bounce down a pound or two one week, then back up for a week until it settles to the new weight. It is excruciatingly slow but that's OK, I know I'll get there and overall it's a downward trajectory.

I just hit the BMI milestone of dropping from "obese" to merely "overweight." Yeah, BMI doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of health, but it's a widely used benchmark so I patted myself on the back for that.

My cholesterol is down, my BP is down, my overall health is definitely getting back where it should be. I am lucky to be able to eat fresh-caught fish (a lot!) and deer. Veggies, of course, and lots of eggs. We eat mostly wild food, with very occasional ground beef and chicken once every couple of month.

I have surgery on the 11th and plan on walking a LOT after that! My first replacement was a breeze, I have no doubt this one will be too!

So, thanks for this forum! You all are much appreciated! I hope to be an active participant this time around and maybe that will help me get to goal and stay there.
Sponsored Links