Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 07:56
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapestry
I'm not just starting out on induction. Argula, raddichio (less of this) and mache are my favorite lettuces. It adds up to just over 10 carbs for 5 cups of this mix. Full of so many nutrients too. I am quite certain that my 5 cups of salad aren't causing me to stall.

I'm also quite certain that your salad greens aren't causing a stall either.

When I upped my veggies, and ramped down the other 'little carbs' as I call them, my weight loss picked up again.

I realize everyone's different, but I do have a very tough time believing that vegetables are the 'problem'.

In fact, there's this one amazing post that really opened my eyes up to this...

Quote:
originally posted by ReginaW in an old thread from last summer:

If one properly follows the rules of induction - that is eats most of their carb allowance from non-starchy vegetables - quite frankly, unless they have a massive appetite, even eating all carbs allowed from only non-starchy vegetables and deducting the fiber simply cannot - EVER - exceed calories to a point where a deficit is not in place, because of too many non-starchy vegetables with the fiber deducted.

To do such, a person would have to consume a high volume of food that's next to impossible for most people....for example (and I'm deducting fiber):

Let's start with protein - and say 125g a day as an average - so 500-calories. That 125g of protein is about a pound of meat (a touch more), so it's realistic in induction. It doesn't include any eggs, since eggs have carbs, ok?

Now if no carbs are coming from anywhere but non-starchy vegetables - that means no cream, no eggs, no cheese, no nuts, no mayo, no salad dressing with carbohydrate....nada, just non-starchy vegetables for carbs.

It would take, as one scenario example:

8 cups romaine lettuce [net 4.4g]
1 whole medium tomato [net 3.3g]
1 cup peeled, sliced cucumber [net 1.8g]
1 stalk celery [net 0.6g]
1/2 cup diced portabello mushrooms [net 1.5g]
1 cup cooked broccoli [net 6g]
1 cup cooked spinach [net 2.5g]

That's 20.1g net carbs - so you're contending that those 20.1g, with the 215-calories they'll provide are the problem?

With the 500-calories from protein and 215-calories from carbs (net) we're at 715-calories.....let's pretend someone used, oh, 4-TBS of butter [408 calories] on the veggies that are cooked and another 4-TBS of olive oil [477-calories] in the salad, and hey, we'll even throw in 2-TBS of vinegar too (another 0.8g carbs - so now we're over at 20.9g net)....even with that addition of fat calories (and the extra carbs and calories), we're look at a total calorie load of 1590-calories.....are the vegetables the problem?

I don't think so.

from: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...48&postcount=44

I just *love* that line, "are the vegetables the problem?"

For the longest time, I thought the vegetables were the problem. I'd put scant amounts of veggies and salads on my meal plates.

But um - those veggies and salads were more like 'cheese delivery vehicles' than anything else. Plunk down the tiniest amount of salad onto my plate, then sit there at the dining room table, with a giant tablespoon from the cutlery drawer, and 'goop' on the Marie's Super Blue Cheese dressing - right on top of the grated cheddar that was covering up the little bit of green stuff in there.

I'm not suggesting anyone else does this, just sharing my own experience with the 'vegetable problem'.

So yeah - I thought the veggies were stalling me.

Sara