#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 16:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Easy Homemade Yogurt From Heavy Whipping Cream

Here's a little tutorial on how I make homemade yogurt from HWC, no milk required.

You need:
- 1 L (quart) of HWC
- Gelatin-free yogurt with live cultures
- yogurt maker or creative way of keeping it warm: hot water bottle, heating mat, top of the fridge, etc

I use Astro Balkan Style yogurt as my starter.

To make the yogurt: first, enjoy most of that container of yogurt. Leave about 1/2 cup.

1. Set that leftover yogurt out on the counter to come to room temp.
2. Pour 3.5 cups of HWC (most of the container) into a sauce pan. (Full liter/quart won't fit into this container, YMMV.)
3. Heat to just under a boil. Stir frequently; I prefer to stir constantly once it's getting close.
4. Remove from heat, and put a lid on to help keep airborne bacteria out.
5. Allow to cool to 'baby bottle warm' - once you can comfortably put the inside of your wrist against the pan. Don't jump the gun here or you'll kill the bacteria that you need for the fermentation!
6. Stir in your yogurt starter. Here's where my next step is weird: I lost my container that came with the yogurt maker, so I just use the store-bought container. It fits perfectly! I give it a quick wash. Pour the cream mixture into whatever container you're using, and now it's time to incubate.
7. Let your yogurt maker go as long as you'd like - I usually go 24-30 hrs.
8. Refrigerate, then enjoy.

It's very thick and creamy, and not nearly as tart as the usual yogurt made from milk.
Sponsored Links