View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 08:32

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I think it depends on the person.

Hot flashes are related to serotonin, which is related to estrogen. And for some of us, the lack of estrogen creates a serious serotonin problem.

Low carb can also create a serotonin problem for some people. Some of us just never get to the good feeling that others have low carb. Weight loss - yes; glowing skin - yes; healing body - yes. Mentally a whole other story.

My memory got so bad the last time I went full-on Atkins (less than 20 g carbs) that it was like I had Alzheimer's already. A the time I was still have TOM, and that got terrible. I was a raging witch. PMS became horrific as well.

I try to make it a point not to go that low any more. It makes the loss slower, but keeps me sane. But I am still on a very, very low dose of estrogen, so that might also be keeping that at bay.

I read MDA and I recall one of the older women on there in her success story, stated that since going primal/low carb she's had a difficult time keeping her hormones leveled out and was having hot flashes again.

So, it might be worthwhile for you to try a very small maintenance dose to see if it helps. I don't mind hot flashes, but I do mind the night sweats and the lack of mental acuity. That part isn't acceptable to me.