#3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 09:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Cori
I'm not going to debate evolution with you. But here's some food for thought. No, humans did not eat everything when they were first here. What you ate, what your diet was like depended on where you lived, i.e. Maoris--meat, milk and blood; Eskimos--meat and blubber; Amazon natives--meat and native foods. None of these were big fruit and veggie eaters and none had grain. In fact, grain is a very recent introduction and processed foods an invention of the late nineteenth century. So your reasoning is based on a fallacy.

Also, the vegetables you're thnking of as man's natural diet, a lot of them don't exist in other parts of the world and never did. The vegetables we eat today, for the most part, are very Western culture and new world. There was a study that the varied diet that earlier man ate has shrunk by about 60-70%. In this more varied diet man ate not only more naturally but according to the seasons and what foods were available. A bounty of foods and rich ones were available only on special days. During the middle ages, European man ate mostly meat and unprocessed grains and the grains were sparing.

So pick your spot and you will find that human's natural diet, in that spot, varied greatly from place to place and region to region. That's why I like the Metabolic Typing diet. It explains that humans are one of three metabolic types, carbo, protein and mixed. How well you do on any eating program or diet is determined by which type you are. It also illustrates what moving from their native diets, however spare and leaning toward protein or carbs, to the so called "healthy" diet of the industrial world does to these peoples' health.

I agree that agribusiness as it exists now is not sustainable. However there are other ways to have sustainable agriculture and meat production. It is a nice idealistic stance to take that we should all become vegetarians. However, as it would improve tremendously the health of those of us who are meant to eat that way, it would only deter the health of those who are not.