View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:53

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

It's funny that the one place you questioned my statements about the digestion of glycerin was an exact quote from a college textbook, "Nutrition, Concepts and Controversies" Eighth Edition, copyright 2000.--(In fact that's why there were so many typos because I was looking at the textbook while I typed.)

Quote from textbook:
"The blood carries glycerol and short-chain fatty acids to the cells... which break them down further into small fragments. Finally, each fat fragment is combined with a fragment derived from glucose, and the energy-releasing reaction contiinues ..."

I'm not expressing my opinion here. I merely stated what is currently known and taught in college by professors to those studying to become Nutritional Scientists.

I do not have a personal bias for or against the Atkin's approach. I merely wanted to point out to those trying to follow Atkin's advice to the letter what was stated on the Atkin's website. Dr. Atkin's in his book New Diet Revolution points to the website as a place for the most current information about his diet.

Everyone here can sift through the information themselves and decide what is best for them.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any protein bars that strictly have only glycerin and not sugar alcohols, so it is virtually impossible to only eat glycerin in a protein bar. Because of the sugar alcohol content in the protein bars, one would naturally have to restrict intake to avoid a rise in glucose from the bars or indigestion which occurs with sugar alcohols but not with the amount of glycerin in a bar.