Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 11:26
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
Yeah, I see your point, but another way to look at it is what if they really were in financial trouble? I grew up in a fairly well-off area, and had friends who's parents made six figure salaries, but were up to their eyeballs in debt and did struggle to make ends meet even-though they made a lot of money. Yeah, you could say it's their own fault that they managed their money poorly...but that'd be like telling an overweight person it's their own fault they gained weight.
Both statements are true, but don't make the reality of living with it and the struggle to fix those problems it any less difficult.

I admit it really annoys a part of me even when I see people on this board who are talking about the problems they're having losing weight when their stats say that their goal weight is 120 and their current weight is 130. Oh my, what a difference THAT is, how hard their life must be.
However, I also try to reign myself in because the point isn't how I feel about their weight, it's how they feel about it and I don't have the right to say that they aren't fat enough to talk about needing to lose weight.

Yes, this. I am one of those who is closer to goal weight, not by 10lbs, but closer than many on this board are. I have, however, been through a weight loss journey before where I lost 40lbs, then settled with a33lb loss for years, only to have the weight come back because I didn't make it a lifestyle. It is a struggle, even if the pounds to lose aren't as many as someone else's.

I tend to think the answer is just to try to understand that me talking about my measly extra 30lbs and lamenting about slow losses could be offensive to others, and try to be sensitive to that. And perhaps the person who I'm talking to (figuratively, not anyone here) might try to understand that even though my issue isn't as grave as theirs might be, it is still an issue I have struggled with for years, making it a hard thing in my life. Maybe it's too idealistic, but I like to think we could get along better if we could try to understand each other.