#17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 22:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo
But about the OP, I think that it can feel very insulting when "the thin people" add their 2 cents in about their 'few pounds to lose' because it seems like their journey is so much shorter than ours. I tend to be the type that feels like shorter journey=less important than a long one, but I do try not to think that way.

This is a good point -- they haven't taken the journey. Saying they should lose a few pounds too is a casual remark and seems to efface the effort and commitment of transforming a truly overweight state of being through long-term low-carbing. People who haven't "been there" also don't realize how heartbreaking and sometimes life-threatening our condition can become. It IS a journey with spiritual as well as emotional aspects and it's deep. Someone who's never had a weight problem saying they should lose weight too to my mind seems to efface our reality and thus I agree it can be slighting or infuriating.

But I can also understand someone feeling awkward discussing diet or weight loss with an overweight person. I think Whofan's suggestion to just say "thank you" and move on is elegant. Sometimes people just don't know what to say or how to be tactful.