#36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-18, 11:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Crack Slaw

This is my go to recipe for Crack Slaw.
It's by Linda who has a WONDERFUL Low-carb recipe website.

She calls it HAMBURGER CABBAGE STIR-FRY

Quote:
HAMBURGER CABBAGE STIR-FRY
1 pound ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 ounce bag coleslaw mix *
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Pinch ginger, optional
Pinch cayenne, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1 bunch green onions, cut on the bias (about 8 onions or 3 ounces after trimming)

In a very large skillet or wok, brown the ground beef with the garlic and a little salt and pepper. Drain the fat, if you like, or just leave it in. Add the cabbage and mushrooms and stir-fry until the cabbage is tender-crisp. Add the remaining ingredients and heat through. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.

Makes 6 servings

* You can save a lot of money, like I did, by buying a head of cabbage and shredding it yourself. A 1-pound bag of coleslaw mix was $1.39 and cabbage was 34¢ pound. To end up with a pound of shredded cabbage, I bought the smallest one they had which weighed 1 1/2 pounds. After trimming, I ended up with almost exactly a pound of usable cabbage. This whole dish, minus the condiments and seasonings, only cost me $3.50 to make because I bought marked down hamburger and got good prices on the cabbage, mushrooms, and green onions.

Ground beef 99¢
Cabbage 50¢
Mushrooms $1.49
Green onions 50¢
TOTAL - $3.50

Per Serving: 263 Calories; 16g Fat; 22g Protein; 7.5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs

This is a popular recipe at Low Carb Friends that they call Crack Slaw. I don't know why they call this "slaw" when it's a cooked dish. I wasn't crazy about the name so I'm calling mine something else. There are so many variations of Crack Slaw that I couldn't decide which one to try so I just took the ingredients that appealed to me and came up with my own version. I saw some versions that called for as much as a stick of butter. Instead of adding extra fat with butter, I just left in the fat from the ground beef. This made a huge amount of food and I could only fit about two thirds of it in the serving bowl in the photo. Click the photo to see a close-up.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/hambur...ge_stirfry.html