View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 15:19

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

In my opinion, the best way to do a raw diet is to eat lots of fermented foods. In addition to boosting enzyme and probiotic content, fermentation neutralizes some of the antinutrients that are found in raw foods. I've discovered, however, that it doesn't get rid of all of them - it actually increases oxalates (found in nuts, seeds, grains and green vegetables) and some goitrogens (found in crucifers and soy). The standard recommendation to remove these antinutrients is to boil the vegetables and then discard the water. However, I have learned that kimchi, which is always eaten raw, is often brined before fermentation, and the brine is also discarded. I don't have any confirmation that this reduces antinutrients, but it sounds like a wise practice regardless.

Fermentation also reduces carb content somewhat, although I would caution against overestimating this effect. When I count carbs, I assume that nothing has been removed by fermentation so I don't overdo it.

Fermentation is a lot of fun. Although I've moved away from plant foods lately, it was a long-time goal of mine to learn how to make pickled plums, one of the world's greatest fermented foods. I still make sauerkraut and kimchi, though, because it's so easy and so very tasty. I'm also thinking about fermenting meat. It sounds scary but some very familiar foods like salami and pepperoni are actually raw fermented meats.

If you're concerned about the ethical issues of meat, it's worthwhile to look into pastured meat. Sustainable methods of animal husbandry can actually be kinder to the environment and animal life than conventional grain and vegetable farming.