View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-19, 12:32

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

After the author's lunch date tossing the impossible burger because it was "gross" with the fake blood in it, I think this tells us a lot:

Quote:
Herein lies the great irony of vegan meat: it’s not really for vegans at all. As Impossible Foods’ founder Pat Brown has said, “The only consumer we care about is the hardcore meat lover.

There have been soy burgers available for decades. I always thought of them mostly as something for the vegetarian/vegan to eat at a family cookout, so they'd have something other than lettuce and tomato to put in their hamburger bun, and at least it provided a little protein, albeit low quality protein. They didn't care that it tasted icky - they'd been off real meat long enough that they convinced themselves that it was a good substitute for meat.

But now this company is going after the hardcore meat lover. Why? I believe it's because if they can convince hard core meat lovers that their fake meat with the beet juice "blood" dripping from it tastes like real meat, it sends a psychological message that you're eating blood when you eat a real burger, or any other meat - a concept that they hope will be so disgusting to meat lovers that they'll switch to a plant based diet, which for companies like Impossible Foods, means creating more and more highly processed (and profitable) meat substitutes. I doubt PETA will be the least bit upset by one more step towards everyone on the planet eating a plant based diet either.