View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 04:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

To continue on Just. Eat. Real. Food.

From all of Nina Teicholz's work on trying to revise the US Dietary Guidelines, I understand that any facilities, schools, military that have government funding must follow the USDA Guidelines, so an important question to ask your Nutritionist is about foods purchased and used for meals.

First, I assumed that you are eating meals in the Independant Living Dining Room..is that correct? or do you have a kitchenette and make some meals yourself? or are you in a house and not provided any meals. There are all types of independent living, and you will be able to do LC in any situation, but the dining room may be required to provide low fat foods...and you need to learn what those are to avoid them.

I ask because if your new home must buy guideline food, you may find that butter is actually margarine, mayonnaise is "reduced-fat" and loaded with sugar, same with peanut butter, eggs for breakfast will be in short supply, etc. So if your nutritionist agrees to your managing diabetes with a Low Carb Diet, you should also be sure sugar is not coming along with the fats. You blame yourself for understandable stress and grief eating, but if I read your introduction correctly, it has only been the recent three years you are in independent living, and now your first diabetes diagnosis at 70. You may want to ask the nutritionist about the foods they buy, ask for a tour of their pantry.

I will look forward to hearing her reaction