#3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 168/164/108
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Wars Over Eating Meat

The article by Shahsavari is an emotional, religious outburst, with more hyperbolies than I care to get into. I'll just go for the last statement as an example:

"It is true that one may create a seemingly powerful body and intense energy from the ingestion of animal flesh, but it is a short-lived as the carnivore’s life itself. Our potential as humankind needs the enduring and endearing properties of the vegetable kingdom. Poets, prophets and philosophers alike have spoken of it for ages. They tell of the tree of life, the garden of paradise, the sacred lotus… an existence that does not take another life to make its own, but which draws from the wellspring of inter-dimensional energy, whether named as solar, tachyonic, magnetic, or left undefined. The word for "war" has its etiology in the Indo-Germanic word meaning "the desire for more cows." In an effort to foster some semblance of world peace, there may be hope in taking personal accountability for ending the slaughter and celebrating the harvest at the dinner table."

1. In this paragraph he attempts the implication that he is very spiritually knowledgable. However, the Tree of Life, Garden of Paradise and Sacred Lotus are symbols relating to spiritual symbologies; they are not about diet. In esoteric knowledge systems, diet for spiritual reasons differs per place on Earth, state of spiritual evolution, and therefore over time. - I might also mention that I was raised as a Christian. Contrary to Shahsavari's earlier statement, vegetarianism didn't enter into it.

2. Now he (emotionally) implies that war is caused by eating meat. Rather, the stated meaning of the word for war would indicate to a thinker the importance of cattle to the welfare of the people in Indo-Germanic cultures. Presumably for such things as food and clothing. I'm not the expert on their cultures (evidently, neither is Shahsavari), but I surmise that they didn't feel that eating meat shortened their lives. Furthermore, had vegetables been thought more important to the general welfare, the word for war would have meant, "The desire for more vegetables!"