Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 12:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/186/140 Female 5' 2"
BF:Way too much
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S
Think of it this way....

Say you have a 100g of cream cheese and it has (just numbers for an example) 80% fat, 10% carbs and 10% protein, which would breakdown to 80g fat, 10g carb, 10g protein.

You decide you want to have a lower percentage of fat so you remove half of the fat....

Which gives you 40g fat, 10g Carb, 10g protein equaling 60g

Because you remove some fat you no longer have a full 100g of cream cheese, you have 60g so what do you do to get a full 100g of cream cheese? You add more cream cheese, of the same fat-reduced type, which gives you a higher ratio of carbs/protein to fat.

Imagine that instead of fat you were removing moisture, if you removed half the water then it would be drier and lighter but because you add the same drier compound to make up the weight difference it is still drier than what you started with because it still has less moisture and more of the other ingredients.

It could be said that it is just about math but you still get more non-fat components added when you reduce fat, same as if you reduce any component, you have to make up that loss with somethign else which will change the proportions.

Does this help?

Hmmm, thanks Sandi .... I never was any good with math!

On my Philadelphia cream cheese tub it says ....

Per 1 TBSP

30 cals
2g fat
10 mg cholesterol
75 mg sodium
1g carbohydrate
1g sugar
1g protein

So, I figure if I have 1 tbsp of this cream cheese I'm getting 1g of carbs .... that doesn't seem like much.

I only ever have 2 tbsp a day so that would be 2g of carbs?

I know Dr. Agatston says to have light cheese, and 1% or 2% cottage cheese and same with milk .... which is what I do, I always go for 1% because I prefer the taste .... and he does say it's ok with dairy to go low fat because they don't replace the fat with carbs in dairy.

Anyway, hopefully this is right .... I sure seem to be losing weight, and much more so than when I was on Weight Watchers. My belly is going down way faster too!

Thanks for the info Sandi .... I'll read it through a couple of times so my old brain will absorb the details

Paula
Sponsored Links