View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-19, 20:41

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Been fasting all day. Had some coffee with 1 TBS cream to take my "take with food" medications this morning... everything else was water, tea, or -- just in the past hour -- bouillon.

Spend most of the day with my BG at 140.

I do not like this game. It is not fun.

Going to extend it into tomorrow, until things are back where they belong. 140 after eating is one thing... 140 after fasting for 16 hours (unless you count that 1 TBS of heavy cream, and it had been more than 4 hours since that) is quite another. My numbers had been doing so good, too....

When I was "just" doing Atkins in the past, I could occasionally "cheat". Sometimes, socially, it was hard-to-impossible to refuse. Sometimes.... I've talked before about my migraines... there was a specific dark chocolate-pomegranate candy I craved, that actually seemed to help. We'd count out a serving, and I'd have it. Or, sometimes, you'd start eating and realize "That's not low-carb!" What I loved about Atkins is that when that happened, I knew what to do. The next morning, I'd just "start over". Strict Induction for 2 weeks (which wasn't hard, because I never really let my net carbs go much higher, but I'd be a little more liberal with some of the "allowed" foods, sometimes, if I was doing well, just in carefully controlled quantities). All sins could be corrected, no guilt needed.

With a diabetes diagnosis, it's not so simple. A little bit of screw-up can take a really long time to correct, and have much deeper consequences -- I get that. I was just talking yesterday about how I want to be able to stay off medications, and how that plays into my unique warped psychology. *chuckles*

Fasting may be my answer to that... my "back to induction". I don't want to use a pill (or shot) as the "easy out", because that's symptomatic and too easy to abuse. (Yes, you can abuse diabetic medications. I see it all the time. It's called eating cake and taking more.) But if I can use fasting as a "correction" when needed... then this whole thing may just be OK after all.

And I'm so very grateful to have a place to talk my way through all of this.