#28   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 20:58

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
...He stresses milk, yogurt and butter for dairy as he is not a fan of the lactic acid in yogurt.
I *think* she meant to say cheese, not yogurt where I bolded.

Here's a response from Dr. Peat regarding yogurt:
"In quantities of an ounce or so, for flavoring, it's o.k., but the lactic acid content isn't good if you are using yogurt as a major source of your protein and calcium. It triggers the inflammatory reactions, leading to fibrosis eventually, and the immediate effect is to draw down the liver's glycogen stores for energy to convert it into glucose."

Also, here are some other guidelines I've gleaned from emailing him:

- Many fruits contain allergens, especially when they are underripe and can sometimes cause reactive hypoglycemia, cravings, hunger, and digestive issues

- I showed a slight sensitivity to casein when I did the Enterolab testing and asked f I should avoid dairy; he said it's normal to make antibodies to food, as part of developing tolerance.

- I asked if having some kind of gluten free cereal with milk for breakfast would be okay occasionally—it would be a break from my regular eggs or cottage cheese, and a good way to up my milk intake; he replied that anything with milk has some nutritional value, but just some sugar or honey with the milk would be o.k., without the slight risk of the adulterants (added vitamins/minerals).

- For the (occasional) dessert, sugar is preferable to sweeteners such as xylitol and stevia.

- If it's well cooked and eaten with butter or other fat, it isn't too harmful to have gluten free pasta for weekly consumption.

I want to make my own gluten free bread since most of the commercial gluten free breads have high PUFA oils in them. I asked if any of the following ingredients should be avoided:
*brown rice flour
*sorghum flour
*cornstarch
*potato starch
*potato flour
*xanthan gum
*arrowroot flour
*tapioca starch

and he replied that potato flour actually has some nutritional value and the others are okay.

The recipe I am going to try is from here.

The other two that look good are GF Cheesy Hamburger Buns and GF Hamburger Buns

Jem, he does prefer white rice over brown rice; have you ever tried jasmine or arborio or basmati rice? There are lots of different "white" rices that have more flavor than plain converted long grain white rice.

I don't follow Peat's guidelines 100% but do the best I can.