Thread: Kitchen gadgets
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 13:58

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

I'm back and forth on the spiralizer. if you have a mandolin slicer, then you probably don't need one. i cut up the spirals anyways, so that i don't end up with zoodles that are several feet long, hahaha. on the other hand, if a fun kitchen gadget makes it so that you're more likely prepare and eat lots of lc veggies, then why not?

we just got an instant pot. it's amazing just for making fast bone broth. also pretty great for making cheap cuts of meat really tender. it also doubles as a crock pot and a few other things. haven't gotten rid of my regular crock pot yet, but can't see using it very much now that we have the instant pot.

gadgety things i use all the time:

• parchment paper

silicone molds for flax muffins (recipe in first post of my journal )

reusable coffee filter and the pour-over cup--i use that thing to micro-strain everything, i like really clear bone broth.

mason jars (great for storing leftovers, the 1/2 litre wide mouth jars are handy for reheating leftovers in the microwave, and i'll eat out of them too to save on dishes. leftovers from the night before= perfect lunch for the next day). i make tea in them, have sippy cup lids for smoothies, etc. i have an assortment of sizes from 1/2 cup to 2 liters. also handy for fermentation crocks and sprouting vessels. i currently have a batch of sprouts, jars of water kefirs and jun (for my family, i don't drink them, it's too sweet for me, even after the 2nd ferment), a big 2l batch of apple cider vinegar. we've made sauerkraut in them, etc...

plastic shoeboxes for the fridge: i keep 3 in the fridge, one for fruit (mostly for the kids/hubby), one for veggies that can be eaten raw in salads or just cut up with dip), one for veggies that need to be cooked. so easy to grab a bin of veggies and bring them to the counter to prep. i keep them on the top shelf of the fridge where they're at eye level and can be seen. i use the crispers to store carrots and onions, and found that when i used to put veggies in the crispers they were 'out of sight and out of mind'. i also keep one in the freezer with precooked individual portion size baggies of meat for fast, easy meals. and another one for dog treats, lol (he gets the mushy bones that are left over from making bone broth. i mash them up and freeze in a muffin tin for perfect serving size for him, pop out and store in freezer bags in his bin..)

other things we use less frequently: dehydrator (homemade jerky, kale chips, flax crax, seed/veg crackers), ice cream maker, popsicle molds (have kids with allergies, we freeze leftover smoothies for them all the time), ninja pro blender with bullet cups (mayo, grinding flax, smoothies), pyrex bowls for microwave cakes (don't like the way they turn out in a mug), meat grinder (no pink slime! LOL and we can use extra fat if we have it available), rolling cutter (cutting up sheets of lc coconut flour 'bread'), etc...

i'm sure there's more. i've gone through a couple of the egg slicers over the years. great for making egg salad to eat as as an easy lunch with cukes/celery. slice thru one way, turn 90degrees and slice again for perfect little bitty cubes, mix with mayo...

i use my electronic scale more often when making skincare recipes. interesting to read how y'all are weighing ingredients and using the scale to help with portion control though! i love threads like this, always learn something new.