View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 20:05

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

This bread is EXCEPTIONALLY good! I was very dubious about trying it - I'm not a fan of soya flour, but it looked good and the directions were very well detailed, so I THOUGHT I'd give it a go. I'm so glad I did.
I have a cheap Cookworks breadmaker (which works really well for my own LC bread recipe) and I always remove the paddle before the knockback for two reasons. One, it leaves a smaller hole and two, more important, it suits LC bread not to have to rise twice. With no paddle, the thin metal 'pole' just whirrs around when it gets to the knockback stage - my machine is not sophisticated enough to leave out that stage altogether.
I was very surprised how high this bread rose - in fact, I had to call a halt early to the rising and begin the bake cycle after only 50 minutes. I was sure the bread would be full of holes (that has happened to me too often to count) but it had a perfect texture - light and springy.

I made only a few changes to the recipe:
1. It needed 270 mls of water for me - NOT Nica's tweaked 210 mls and not even the original 240 mls.
2. I always add a tablespoon of oil to the breadpan first - makes the paddle and later the loaf easier to remove.
3. I use 3 Splenda tablets, or the equivalent in Stevia, in all my breads - it helps the flavour IMO.
4. I use a cycle that has about 30 minutes in total of kneading - I think this really helps the gluten to develop (hence the 'high rise' effect, I suppose).

Thanks very much for the recipe, Nica. This bread had slices as large as a bought loaf with a great texture - ideal for sandwiches. I could still taste the LC 'whang', but it was nowhere near as obvious as many others I've tried (and dumped). I'll be making this one again - maybe I'll reduce the soy flour a bit, perhaps adding some Carbalose?

Babs