View Single Post
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-18, 10:31

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

LOL Peggy! Yes, I enlighten folks on computer use all the time. Because I CAD draw, I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts. A lot of people are completely unaware of "Control Z, X, C, V,...even control+F to open the "find" dialog on web page or document.

I'm going to order the RWS (thanks for the heads up). Much like the arrowroot powder, it has amazing other benefits. It may even be a better light deep fry coating for my wings. For now oat fiber has been replacing cornstarch for that...its good, but darkens a lot a and not quite the same as what cornstarch does.

I'll have to keep trying the dumplings. There has got to be something wrong on my end. I am so jonesing for a low carb noodle...that isn't weird.

I'll bet that biscuit recipe tastes just fine. I am looking for something to use for a variety of purposes, especially of which is biscuits and sausage gravy. I'l bet those cheddar biscuits would be really good under some gravy too...now that I think about it. Now that I have the skills to use xantahn gum judiciously to thicken without becoming mucus-like...this is getting fun! I can even whip up a quick broth based gravy for anything...its very culinarily empowering, compared to the early days of LC desperation when I had yet to develop LC cooking skills. Wonder of the RWS makes a good sauce thickener?

I hope you take my questions and communications as an appreciation for your work. I seem to be about the only other person posting in this thread, I'm not trying to pester...

..BUT!...on your Einkhorn baking mix, you strongly suggest no substitutions. Does that also strictly apply to the palm shortening? Any reason regular vegetable shortening wouldn't perform similarly? Ever use a food processor to cut-in the shortening?

And lastly, (for today ), I finally made your pizza crust method last night. I just used the focaccia recipe including the yeast. A real keeper that is. Real slices that hold up to eating by hand, a solid chew to the crust. I was concerned about the tomato sauce making it soggy, but it did not.

I reduced some marinara for a couple of hours to make it thick but was still very light with putting it on. I was even a little cautious on how many topping that leech moisture like onions. Not to worry next time, the crust stood up just fine, not a hint of soggy. I used your exact method, I have the aluminum pizza pan with the perforations in the center, did the pre-bake with the parchment between, the re-bake without the parchment.

I did bake it a little longer the first time just to be sure it would stand up to the toppings, I dont think I need to do that, the top of the focaccia creates a glaze that I think repels too much moisture from getting in. I feel free now to slather the sauce and the toppings on heavier next time. What a treat, closest thing to real pizza I've had yet, and definitely better than my double lavash method, albeit more expensive and more work.

The hardest part about the Focaccia is the spreading of it on to the pan. Do you have any tricks you use for that? I thought maybe another tablespoon of water to wetten the dough more? A small dough roller with an oil coating?

The parchment is so sticky to the dough...even the parchment sliding around is a pain. With the round pizza pan I taped the corners of the parchment (leaving a folded end of tape for easy removal) back around to the underside of the pan, that helped keep the parchment from moving as much, but interestingly, the transparent regular tape doesn't stick real well and comes off the parchment really easy. I thought that was weird until I learned that parchment is a release or non-stick kind of product! Makes sense now...OH! Must note that the tape needs removed prior to baking!