#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 14:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Heat Wave: Your Favourite Hot Weather Foods

It's hotter than heck, you don't have A/C, and you don't want to further heat up your kitchen. What are your staple meals, snacks and drinks?

- Salads are an obvious one. Here's a thread devoted to meal salad ideas.
- SF Jello - I use the microwave to boil the cup of water.
- Iced tea - Make really strong tea (4 tea bags) in a mug in the microwave, let it steep and cool, pour over ice in a pitcher, add cold water/sweetener/lemon juice to taste... or get some cold brew tea bags and do it all in the fridge.
- Iced coffee. I add some sweetener while it's hot, chill it, then add the cream when I pour it over ice.
- Yogurt and berries
- Smoothies with frozen berries, peanut butter, protein powder, pasteurized liquid eggs, yogurt... whatever.
- Lettuce wraps with whatever usual sandwich you'd have.
- Plain ol' deli plate: deli meats or plain leftover cooked meat, cheeses, pickles, sliced veggies, dip.
- Pork rinds with salsa and sour cream.
- Cold noodle salads: either shirataki or spiralized zucchini. I like to make a glass noodle type of salad, or it works as any other pasta salad.
- Cold leftover crustless quiche. Sounds weird, but I love it!
- Smoked salmon - thaw and enjoy. My favourite way to do this is almost like faux sushi - roll it up with seaweed snacks, avocado and cream cheese; dip in soy sauce.

Cooking tips:
- If I need to use the oven, I'll try to plan ahead and do multiple recipes at once. I keep an eye on the weather forecast and pick a kitchen monkey morning when it's going to be coolest. I do most of the prep ahead of time.
- I like to make max use of the microwave. If I really want hot food, I'm guaranteed to have leftovers in the freezer I can just nuke. (Let's back this up: always cook enough for leftovers. ) Maybe I'll nuke a small container of chili that I'll dip pork rinds into, along with some sour cream, salsa and/or guacamole.
- Use your crock pot and maybe even take it to the basement, garage, spare room, etc and cook a big batch of chicken breasts or a roast overnight.
- BBQ! I don't have one, but have at 'er if you do.
- My clam shell grill heats up really quickly, cooks things really quickly, and doesn't really heat up the kitchen. Perfect for already-cooked meats like wieners and smoked sausage.
Sponsored Links