View Single Post
  #149   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 15:44

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Linda

This is my first day back to work after being off for 2 1/2 weeks and I just found your e-mail reply after going through 146 in my "in" box. I did something really stupid - I was participating in a United Way event here at work, fell and suffered a hair-line fracture in my elbow. DUMB! I am OK to return to work but I need to set up some physiotherapy for my elbow, so I regain the full range of montion in it again.

Of course, while I was off work, I did some emotional / nurturing eating - I unfortunately discovered a place near us that has these delicious cinnamon buns. I guess when I drop in after work sometimes they are sold out but when I went in during the day - the smelle - MMMMMMM - so I bought one for myself and my daughter. She does not really crave sweets like I do, but I think I must have eaten about 6 cinnamon buns in two weeks, along with a few other "not so smart" choices. I didn't gain a lot of weight but I definitely did gain some - DUMB! I know in my head that eating cinnamon buns (or any other sweets) won't help any emotional situation, but tell that to the "sweet monster" that lives inside me!

I can appreciate what you are saying about your daughter and her husband's interfering family. I was married to a man that "never left home" - he was married to his "family" - they ALWAYS came first, even over our children. It helped a bit when we moved out of town (job related because he never would have moved otherwise). I don't know if this is an option for your daughter and her family, to get him away from his family.

My daughter is a stay-at-home mom to my 2-year old grandson. Homes in Vancouver are very high and continue to climb and climb. They don't have a lot of $ so like you do, I buy clothes for our grandson and babysit when it is convenient to help them out. I have to do this while I am still employed.

Big meeting today and we'll know the "fate" of our jobs by the end of the month. I honestly do not think I will be able to keep my job. I am 56 and the thought of being unemployed and trying to find another job, one that pays as well and has benefits, is slim to none. But I will try and be positive.

Hope your home sells and you can finally move. I saw Dr. Phil's book when (2nd) hubby and I were shopping at Costco this past week. I didn't get to even browse thru the book but if I get a chance to I will definitely read it. I get home too late in the day from work to watch Oprah or his TV program.

One of the best books I have read is The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem - I believe it is along the same lines as Dr. Phil's - about making choices for ourselves. I found it a bit technical in places but the information was the best I have ever read on the subject (of self esteem, emotions and choices).

Hope to hear from you. Good luck on selling your house.

Bye for now - Jan (((hugs))) too!