#84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 11:00

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
How do you feel? Is your hypothyroid adequately treated? I am curious if your numbers have changed at all with thyroid meds.

--Melissa

I have been on thyroid meds (adequately treated for past 2 years) so I feel really well.

I was within the first 6 months or so of starting low carb when I changed endocrinologists, at first he wanted to put me on Metformin (or something like it -- something injectible) and I refused. My cholesterol numbers improved over time (but going UP overall, while tryglicerides and HDL improved.) and my weight went DOWN (much to my endo's amazement -- that I did it without drugs.) I went from 'Metabolic Syndrome' to healthy.

When I started out, my HDL was pretty low. At least I am in the range now for HDL. My tryglicerides are absolutely fabulous and my LDL is harmless, even if the number is crazy high.

I feel better now than I have ever in the past . . . 20 years? I attribute it to low carb living and having my thyroid properly treated.

Note: I am VERY strict low carb. I don't count, but it's definitely VLC living. 30 grams a day? That kind of low, for 3 years.