#5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-19, 08:54

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
THe only transplant I have heard of is when a patient is failing to thrive and at deaths door, then microbes are transferrred from specified donors to the GI ( by passing oral route) for life saving heroic type sugery.

A lot of that has to do with US law. There's that pesky unproven treatments thing. My cynical side also thinks that this stuff is the drug companies' nightmare.

Quote:
IMHO, until microbe source can be had, I am hoping to minimize the bad ones by not feeding them. ANd feed the better ones via asparagus, onion, and the like. AND pray the medical field in the US get their act together asap.

From the reading I've done, you need both the good microbes and the food to perpetuate them. A microbe transplant will only help so long without continued maintenance.

The more that I read, the more I think you're on the right track anyway.

It's complex because some of us have had our microbiomes destroyed by drugs, so we need a replacement source. Others have caused our colonies to skew because of what we feed them. Right now, we don't really know the difference between the two sets.

Dr. Stasha Gominak has found that our gut microbes need each other and Vitamin D3. Here's an interview on High Intensity Health. It seems like most discussion of microbes doesn't even acknowledge that.

You also have the questionable science that seems rampant. Tom Naughton recently had an excellent experience from adding L. reuteri to his diet. First blog post here. In following that up, I ran across a study that claimed that L. reuteri caused weight gain in humans. I don't have time to look it up, but they took people with antibiotic resistant L. reuteri, gave them anitbiotics, and the people gained weight and still had the L. reuteri. Therefore, it was the L. reuteri that caused weight gain. Ummm.... what about the microbes killed by the antibiotics? Couldn't that be the cause of the weight gain?

Some of these probiotic strains are harvested from people living a non-industrial life. One L. reuteri strain is from a Peruvian mother living high in the Andes The E. coli in Mutaflor is another. Because of that, it makes sense to me to avoid antibiotics in as many forms as possible and to load up on the live stuff as much as I can. Kombucha made in the traditional way, yogurt and other dairy ferments, fermented vegetables, and vinegar with the mother are the ways people have gotten probiotics before they came in a fecal transplant or pill. For now, the old ways seem to be the best way.

ETA: I'm not meaning to dis probiotics. Right now, I am experimenting with the L. reuteri, but using the capsules from Swanson. I'm not sure that probiotics are a lasting solution. I don't think that our best health comes from being reliant on a pill. After all, that Peruvian woman above wasn't taking pills.