View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-21, 03:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's bang-on, Barbara. I have a similar quote in my sig from Dr Ted Naiman: "You are only going to maintain your results if you enjoyed the process that got you there in the first place." One of my favourite pieces of advice to someone who's overwhelmed with the idea of going LC, especially just starting out, is to avoid fancy-sounding recipes and just make simple food. If you enjoy cooking, great - go make those labour-of-love dishes like bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers or zucchini lasagna. Otherwise, KIS. There are lots of ready-made, pre-prepped groceries you can buy.

This also applies if you "hate cooking." I generally enjoy cooking, but I work a seasonal job that's exhausting while I'm working. I do food prep and a bit of cooking on Sunday, and that's it. The rest of the week, it's whatever I made Sunday, something from the freezer, or something just as easy. There's nothing wrong with calling a few of the following a meal: some cold cuts, cheese, boiled eggs, some raw veggies, berries, a dish of cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, pork rinds and salsa... imperfect LC is infinitely better than the SAD. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

If you hate cooking, stop calling it "cooking" and start calling it "preparing your food." Even if you wanted garbagey mac n' cheese from a box, you'd still have to boil the water, stir the pasta, drain it, prepare your sauce, and clean up afterwards. If you can take the time to do that, you can make something healthier with no more effort or cost. It's an excuse. Plain and simple.

Pick your favourite easier foods, maybe scrambled eggs or roasted chicken, and learn to make them well. Make those your staples. Keep a written list or something online that'll remind you of dishes you really like. It's funny how you can just 'forget' that you really liked (this or that easy recipe.) That's probably all the cooking knowledge you need to have to be successful.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but on my back burner (pardon the pun) has been a post/thread about how to make the easiest, quickest meals.