#2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-21, 02:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome, Matthew.

I'm not too familiar with DesMaisons and Schwarzbein, Dr Perlmutter I think I heard speak on a podcast a long time ago.

I'd say my favorite mental health practitioner who is also a supporter of carbohydrate-control is Dr. Georgia Ede. Here she is on the dietdoctor.com podcast, and there are quite a few interviews if you search her name on YouTube.

Dr. Chris Palmer is another psych doc supportive of diet and mental health, although I haven't really explored his website or youtube content... yet.

Hint: don't be too turned off when those docs and LCers are discussing a ketogenic diet for mental health; I know you said you're not interested in that. I believe they're approaching it from that direction because of the effects of ketogenic diets for epilepsy and other neurological conditions that affect the brain. Since there are mental illnesses that respond to anti-seizure meds, the question gets asked, "let's see if this type of diet can help mental illnesses, too." There doesn't seem to be much research (who wants to pay for a study that doesn't result in a billion-dollar drug?), but it's a good starting discussion point.

If you're going to stay at a higher carb level, I suggest considering completely eliminating wheat. That is a definite trigger for my anxiety and depression. I've just about taken peoples' heads off over nothing after 'getting glutened.' I never would have believed it, but it was one of the things that clued me in that I had a problem with it - going back through my journal (not here) and connecting the dots at the timings of my meltdowns. On a celiac forum, a young lady who's mental health issues virtually disappeared once she was diagnosed with celiac disease and went gluten-free asked for similar stories. Her therapist was very interested. There were 10 pages of replies to this thread. Remarkable stories. Something to consider.

Best of luck finding something that will work for you.