Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 13:55

Plan: Bernstein diabetes plan
Stats: 172/172/160 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debwill
Hey
The back story about D-Ribose is a nasty one. It is sugar. period. So on a low-carb diet, at the levels they tell you to take in one day are like 33grams or more. The Fibro& Fatigue Centers are selling that crap and $1000's more crap to Fibro's and there is one man behind all of it. Dr. Titlebaum. He claimed to have had Fibro and was on the street and discovered how to cure himself and got back to medical school and now "devotes his life to helping Fibros"
The man who is behind D-Ribose gives huge kickbacks to Dr. Titlebaum to sell it at all his speeches. There are so many companies lining up behind this "doctor" to get in the Fibro ring of cash. He get doctors to work in these clinics and sell all these expensive supplements and he pays for there malpractice insurance and these doctors who go with him and "sell out" become very rich.
This "doctor" is distancing his actual name from many Fibro-related things, since us old-time Fibro people know just what an evil dude he is.
He's never treated a Fibro patient in his life. The doctor who took over his practice many years ago tried to speak out about his failures to treat the one or 2 Fibro patients he had. Sure get the D-Ribose. It will give you a super lift of energy! So will 33 grams of pure sugar. It is not ok on a low carb diet.

I know this is a very old thread, and I don't know anything about the particular products or programs you mentioned, but first of all, the phrase "33 grams of pure sugar" isn't a very precise one, and therefore it's not very helpful.

Contrary to your assertion, not all sugars react with the body in the same way. The problem for diabetics, for example, is glucose metabolism, and ribose simply isn't processed by the body in the same way as glucose. Ribose does not "reduce down" to glucose.

Check out this link: Effect of D-Ribose on Insulin and Blood Glucose: A Chronological Examination

This paper and a number I've come across demonstrate that, if anything, ribose lowers blood glucose levels. And my own personal anectodal experience is that it doesn't raise my BG reading.

However, I only take 5 grams once a day. I suppose it's conceivable that at the doses you mentioned there might be a different result. Still, the above-mentioned examination cited cases where up to 50 grams of ribose was infused in patients over a period of an hour; and at this dose (and lower doses), a serum-glucose-lowering effect was observed.